Suggestions

TOPIC: 6-Levels model functionality - initial design

6-Levels model functionality - initial design 14 years 4 months ago #1216

• claire
  • Thank you received: 62
These are our original thoughts, based on the comments made by dpvanwormer and Andre3D in the following topic
http://www.trgtd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469. Please give us your feedback.

0. Set-up: add a field called Level for which user can change the descriptions (similar to the criteria fields). An example of Levels can be 'Life purpose', 'Values', '5-years Goals', '1-year Goal', ‘Areas of responsibility’, etc.. For each Level, user can specify if projects can be linked to that level or not, and if that level should have a start and an end date (for example, life purpose probably does not have dates).

1. add a new choice for ‘Not Actionable’ on the Process Thoughts screen called ‘Motive’. The Motive will be set as the thought description and topic. User will need to specify the Level. For the Motive, user will be able to enter dates if exist for that level. Motive can then be added to an existing motive similarly as you add a project to another project.

2. when creating a new project, it can be linked to one or more Motives (will only show the Motives for which the level allows project links).

3. Review Projects screen: add a Tab to the project panel to list the Motives that the project is linked to.

4. New screen to Review Motives, which will show the hierarchy of Motives, including their projects and actions (see Andre3D example in the forum topic). We will add filtering by Level and by Topic.

5. Change Global Find to search in Motive too.

6. Add a column for ReviewActions screen called Motive Path which will be similar to the Project Path.

7. Other fields for the Motive: vision, accountability, rewards, obstacles, support, brainstorming and notes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:6-Levels model functionality - initial design 14 years 4 months ago #1245

• itilimp
  • Fresh Boarder
Still trying to thnk this through in my head in terms of how I 'd use it.

Setup - agree with level, but also think this is needed:
Create a topic of 'Area of Responsibility' which can have user customised sub-topics underneath it to enable my next point. Or Area of Responibility could be a new top level configurable item if the former is too difficult.

Regarding point 1 and the motive... rather than just setting both the motive and the topic to the same text as the thought... why not link the motive to an area of responsibility under topic instead?

Dinner ready now - will carry on thinking about this and come back to you.

Re:6-Levels model functionality - initial design 14 years 4 months ago #1247

• claire
I think "Area of responsibility" should be a level. Then if I enter "being a parent" as a thought then process it as a motive, I will assign it the level "Area of responsibility". Later, I can enter all my motives (including goals) related to being a parent. Some of these will have the topic "kids", some "school", some "learning", etc...

The reason we use "Motive" rather than "Goal" is because some of the levels do not link to goal like your live values or area of responsibility for example.

Re:6-Levels model functionality - initial design 14 years 4 months ago #1255

• petersj
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't now if I get this, would it be like:

? = 50000 m = BIG LIFE GOALS
? = 40000 m = Vision
Level = 30000 m = Goals 1 - 3 Years
Motive = 20000 m = Area of Resposibility
Project = 10000 m = Projects
Actions = 0m (Start Level) = Doing

Is that about right?

Re:6-Levels model functionality - initial design 14 years 4 months ago #1259

• claire
Yes, the levels can be these values for you but other users could call them whatever they like. It is similar to the priority field. There will be default values but users will be able to change them.

Re:6-Levels model functionality - initial design 14 years 4 months ago #1262

• jeshunter
  • Senior Boarder
I use the the same concept like Andre3D.

At first I need the option hide/show inactive projects (www.trgtd.com.au/index.php?option=com_ku...view&catid=4&id=1253)

For priority I use the concept from R.Cohens 7 Habits - 4 quadrants. (Urgent/Important)

I need to add criteria like Level or Area of Responsibility for better filtration. And filtration in Projects review is my BIG DREAM.
There is no exact border line between levels and all projects and actions shall be in correspondence. (Action "make shopping" is a part of 50000 level - Good husband.

The idea from dpvanwormer is good, too.

Please read Appendix VII in the book Making It All Work. (I have translated edition.) For levels 20000 and above are used outstanding DOCUMENTS. With creation and revision of them are connected actions 1-4 times in the year. (One exception - i create my own company with 4 employees and I create a lot of documents in levels 20000 and above ;8o) For this I have projects and actions like anothers, only with higher priority)

You can create templates for related DOCUMENTS (Visions, purposes, goals, targets, policy letters, strategic plans, orgboard, description of workplaces, manuals, checklists etc...) and allow links between them and real projects and actions.

For preview of project in longer period (and higher priority) is very effective GanttGraph. My dream is to see projects from TR like GanttGraph, to see interferences between them.
Last Edit: 14 years 4 months ago by jeshunter.
Moderators: claire
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds

About ThinkingRock

ThinkingRock is developed by Avente Pty Ltd, an Australian registered company.

ThinkingRock is not affiliated with or endorsed by the David Allen Company.

Getting Things Done® and GTD® are registered trademarks of the David Allen Company.

Read more about the ThinkingRock team in this interview on the Netbeans website

Get organized Links

We have compiled a list of useful resources if you want to get organized.

Get In Touch

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cron Job Starts